The Greater Albuquerque Medical Association (GAMA) is a private, incorporated 501(c) (6), non-profit, dues supported membership organization. Membership is voluntary and limited to licensed doctors of medicine (MD) and doctors of osteopathic medicine (DO), residents and interns living or working in the greater Albuquerque area.
GAMA is a component society of the New Mexico Medical Association. GAMA has a strong professional relationship with NMMS, specialty societies and other medical professional organizations.
Our function as a professional organization is to focus on the interests of physicians and their patients, working to promote the general health of the community.
GAMA addresses issues of importance to our membership including physician and patient advocacy at the local, state, and federal level; professional collegiality, professional ethics, physician/patient relationships, and continuing medical education for physicians and their staff. We represent physicians in every specialty of medicine.
We welcome your interest and look forward to having you as a member.
GAMA Membership Categories:
Membership consists of three categories:
A. Voting, Dues Paying Members: Voting Dues Paying membership shall be limited to one (1) category:
1) Regular members who are licensed to practice medicine as a M.D. or D.O. in the State of New Mexico or those serving as an Intern or Resident Physicians in a training program in the greater Albuquerque area approved by the American Medical Association or Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
B. Voting, Non-Dues Paying Members: Voting, Non-Dues Paying membership shall be limited to two (2) categories:
1) Emeritus Membership: Emeritus membership may be granted by the Board of Trustees to a member of the Association who has been a Regular Member for five (5) or more years, and for one or more of the following reasons: prolonged illness, absence from practice for post-graduate work or retirement from practice. When the reason for which Emeritus membership was granted no longer exists, the member shall automatically be returned to Regular membership.
2) Senior Membership: Senior membership may be granted by the Board of Trustees to members who are 70 years of age and older who are still practicing medicine.
C. Non-Voting Members: Non-Voting Members are not required to pay dues to the Association and shall be limited to three (3) categories:
1) Retired Membership: Retired membership may be granted by the Board of Trustees to anyone who otherwise qualifies for Emeritus membership but who has been a Regular Member for fewer than five years, or to any physician who formerly practiced outside of the Albuquerque area, who has retired from active practice or from his/her former position, was a member of the local medical society outside of the Albuquerque area, and who has moved to the Albuquerque area to live in retirement.
2) Associate Membership: Associate membership may be granted to Albuquerque area physicians who are engaged as full-time medical missionaries, are engaged in education or philanthropic activities or are active members of the Armed Forces or of the United States Public Health Service.
3) Honorary Membership: Honorary membership may be granted to any person by the Board of Trustees for outstanding achievement in the medical profession or for outstanding service to the Association. The Association shall present an appropriate certificate to such members.
Apply Online (link)
An application is considered complete upon the receipt of application, photo (headshot) and payment in full. Brief professional statements and a photo of each applicant is published in the annual GAMA pictorial directory. Note: The application must be signed with an electronic signature. If you cannot complete an application online, you can submit them via e-mail, fax or mail: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Fax: 505.823.4760; Mail: GAMA, 7770 Jefferson NE, Suite 420, Albuquerque, NM 87109. Please do not fax photos. If you have any questions, please contact us at 505.821.4583.
Dues & Payment Information
Dues for Active membership in GAMA and the New Mexico Medical Society (NMMS) for 2017 are $220 for county and $375 for state. Membership for Interns, Residents, and Fellows is $60/yr (GAMA is $35/yr and NMMS is $25/yr). Although membership is voluntary, membership in both GAMA and NMMS is a condition required by the Bylaws of the State Society. Payment in full is required with your application.